Our third Asian appetizer is the crispy and classic spring roll. This recipe calls for pork, but feel free to substitute with your choice of shrimp or chicken.
- spring roll shells
- 4 eggs
- 2 pounds ground pork (shrimp or chicken)
- 1/2 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 ounce shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup vermicelli noodle, soaked
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
In a large bowl, mix together one egg and all the filling ingredients. For each spring roll, add 2 tablespoons of the filling. Fold in two opposite corners of the skin over the filling and roll into a cylinder, sealing with egg wash. Deep fry at 375º or pan fry at medium heat. Cook until golden brown and serve warm.